This recipe really needs no introduction, so I’ll get right to the point: here’s the recipe. Use it. Or not.
Garlicky West Coast Mussels in White Wine & Cream
3kgs live West Coast Mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
2 onions, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
500ml dry white wine
1 cup (250ml) cream
lemon wedges, to serve
finely diced tomato, to garnish
- In a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic until translucent but not brown.
- Add the mussels to the pot, pour in the wine and cover.
- Give the pot a shake every now and again. Cook until the mussels open up, about 10 minutes. Discard any mussels that haven’t opened.
- Add the cream and reduce slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the tomato and serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.
PS This works really well in a potjie too. Stick to the recipe and timing as above. It’s nice and quick and great to serve in the pot.